Here are a few Do's and Don'ts for maintaining a healthy pregnancy:
- DO eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Eggs and fish are also good sources of protein.
- DON'T restrict calories during pregnancy. This is not the time to go on a diet.
- DO drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and to help with the blood supply.
- DON'T consume alcohol or tobacco smoke. This is age old advice that never gets old. Even secondhand smoke can be dangerous.
- DO exercise and get a massage when needed to relieve stress. Yoga is very beneficial in preparing the muscles for the physical journey of pregnancy.
- DON'T overdo it on the exercise. Elevating the heart rate too high can direct blood away from the baby to compensate for the extra blood being pumped to the heart and other areas of the body. A heart rate monitor is a valuable tool.
- DO supplement your diet with a prenatal vitamin, Omega 3 fish oils, and extra vitamin C.
- DON'T neglect your emotional wellness. It is imperative to get plenty of rest to take care of your physical, as well as mental health.